Thursday, October 30, 2008

On the Pulse of Agedness...

Or what I learned in the past year. No more ranting. Only lovely wonderful thoughts tonight.

1. In April, I learned how to ride a motorcycle this year. I passed the Motorcycle Foundation New Rider Safety Course and officially got the "M" added to my driver's license. A few caveats:

(a) I nearly failed the eye test that the DMV gave me after I passed the course. This was pretty dicey. My every-changing field of vision made it so that when I was asked to read a row of letters, I didn't see the final column. When the tester asked about the final column, I said something like, "Hunh?" But then I tipped my head to the side and was able to see it. For safety's sake, until this thyroid related eye disease runs its course (almost there), it is best to stay wrapped in a metal cocoon when I take to the road.

(b) I have not ridden for a second since taking the road test. The Hubbins' road pig is too much bike for a newbie so I have not practiced at all.

But, when the zombies attack and all the arteries leading from the city are clogged with the automobile-tombs of the dead, I can grab the Harley Sportster conveniently sitting on the side of the road, zip around the cars, and escape to the mountains.

2. Connecticut may seem like a stuffy haven for Thurston and Lovey, but we are one of the more progressive states in the Union. Civil Unions have been legal for several years now, we are one of maybe 5 states that guarantee a women's right to breastfeed, and gay marriage is now legal. Take THAT New York, where Mets fans can be accosted for feeding their babies.

3. I've discovered that if I sit on my but for 12 hours a day and get no exercise, I will gain weight. Like a scientist, though, I have no use to which I should put this knowledge. More importantly, though, I attended my 20 year high school reunion and not only am I not the fattest (by a LONG SHOT), so many of the beautiful people from high school looked old. I mean, we all aged, but they had nasty skin caked an inch thick with foundation. I felt like Gulliver in that world of the giants...

That said, the good thing is that I caught back up with people I haven't spoken with in 20 years, and have become friends with people I just could not have considered ever liking in high school (wrong hair, wrong music, wrong clothes -- the usual rational high school stuff).

Right, getting hassled to engage with family. Perhaps more later.

1 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Heh. Mets fans breastfeeding. Who would do such a thing. (Disclaimer: NY law does protect the mom's right to breastfeed in anyplace that the mom would otherwise have the right to be. However, I did not have the right to be in seats for which I did not have a ticket. Which is why I agreed to change seats when I got hassled. I did go right on feeding little Miss after relocating.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home