Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Resignation and Secret Societies

Resignation
My resignation did not go as well as I expected -- they accepted it with grace and proceeded to reassign all of my cases to other lawyers. No begging, pleading, or mea culpa-ing. No denial, anger, bargaining or depression. Just acceptance.

I've run into Snotty Partner 2-3 times since I resigned (once literally -- the doors to the women's and men's rooms are at a 90-degree angle to each other, and with the right timing. . .). The little turd can't even look me in the eye.

I decided to sit at his table at the Holiday Party, not because I had any designs on buttering him up or getting friendly with the youngist partners, but only to force him to acknowledge me in a social setting. (Get a few drinks in me and I can be a complete wench.) I had a terrible time because I wasn't sitting among friends, but it was worth his discomfort. tee hee. Hubbins (aka master of human condition) told me it was a great move because it permitted his peers to see his weakness.

I bring this up because I wonder if I shouldn't have some fun in the next week. Today is the litigation department lunch, and he is scheduled to speak. I wonder if I should show up on the late side (so he's already seated) and snag a chair near him. HAH! I'll chirp happily about my new job to all who surround me and he'll be sullen, trying to ignore my presence. And everyone who knows what utter crap he wrote in my performance evaluation will see the contrast.

Re: performance evaluation -- did you know that I wear slip-ons, not because women's dress shoes generally do not tie, but because I cannot tie shoes. Sad but true -- just ask Snotty Partner (who attended an, ahem, unranked Tier 4 law school.* Just sayin.).

Officially, my last day is 3/29, but if I get the files out of my office sooner, I'll leave sooner.

Secret Societies (PG-13 version)
I was initiated into a secret society last night. It was all very exciting, what with my being married to a member of many secret societies. (Finally, I know something about which I can deny knowledge.) Before the initiation, Hubbins and I joked about my having to chug naked while getting my butt paddled by hooded figures.

Soooo, after the initiation, I called Hubbins to say I was on my way home. The first thing out of his mouth:

"So, did you [gain knowledge in the biblical sense] a sheep?"
"But of course, dear, I wouldn't have joined otherwise. Actually, the sheep [gained knowledge in the biblical sense] me, darling, it is a women's group."

__________________
* Many fine, talented, successful lawyers (and I include Snotty Partner among them) attended unranked Tier 4 law schools. However, I find that many insecure lawyers who attended unranked Tier 4 law schools feel the need to prove that law school rank doesn't matter. And by doing so, demonstrate that it does. At least to them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home