Tuesday, February 27, 2007

more Books on CD

I'm listening to the unabridged Wuthering Heights now. I read it about 20 years ago and I remember thinking that Catherine-dear-sweet-Catherine was a wench and that Heathcliff was done wrong by her. Now, I'm on the 4th CD of 10 and, while I still have little sympathy for Catherine even though she correctly states that were she to marry Heathcliff they would both live in poverty and degradation, I don't see why I had any sympathy for Heathcliff. He is a bit of a jerkface, aiding Hindley in his downward spiral of excess and marrying Isabella to spite Catherine and Edgar Linton. I can't remember how or whether he redeems himself. Has this book changed for me completely in 20 years?

It's like The Cather in the Rye -- when I read it as a teen, I thought of Holden Caufield as a tragic hero, seeing through all the phonies and whatnot. Now, I think he a dope -- get over yourself, Holden. Get a job, pay some taxes and then tell me how terribly the world wronged you.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home