Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Fashionable Lawyerwear

I'm at the start of ANOTHER job search. Things just ain't working for me at The Firm -- I'm just not feeling the love for me or my clients -- so off I go. Luckily, I heart my headhunter -- she was an enormous help during my last job search, so I called her a few months ago when I suspected things were not going to get any better here. I decided to stick it out until the new year, and now I'm in the market.

Anyway, I asked the headhunter about a firm she got me an interview with last year -- I liked them, they liked me, but timing was bad. They had just opened a Stamford office but weren't ready to hire someone my level. Ends up they're very interested in seeing me again. I'm meeting them next week so I HAD to go to The Mother Ship for appropriate apparel.

Thing 2 demanded to come with me as my "fashion consultant". She was emphatic that I should not purchase anything boring or ugly. I try explaining to her that the Lawyer Interview Suit is a creature all its own, and that Boring and/or Ugly (to a 9 yo) is de rigeur. She would have none of it.

Thing 2 picked out some interesting ensembles -- she worked the sale rack and her knowledge of color theory to the bone, baby. One selection was a black a-line skirt, red shell and dark purple jacket. It was cute and if I wasn't Interview Suit Shopping, I might have considered it. I settled on a black pin-stripe Anne Klein Suit with a bias-cut a-line skirt.

Thing 2 is disappointed in my purchase. When she saw me in it this morning, she exclaimed, "You're right, Mom! That suit IS boring. You look like someone who is in charge of something, but nobody likes."

Eeeexcellent! Just what I was going for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home