Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Ratting Out a Co-Worker

Several months back, when I was a new associate at Le Firm, a became friendly with one of the assistants (a no-no, I know, but ich binned ein secretary, and she was sooooo willing to part with the 411 that I couldn't resist). She was a class-A kvetcher, but I considered it to be, on balance, worth the info I would hear. She would frequently complain about one of her charges. I would remind her that the charge was a young, new attorney who may not know how to treat a secretary. But that, more importantly, she was a cost center and should understand that money talks, baby.

So, early in the summer, she asks me for the name of a labor lawyer. I ask her whether she needs a "labor lawyer" or an "employment lawyer" and explain the difference between the two. I also tell her that I practice employment law and she specifies that she needs someone outside the firm. UGH. On the spot. I give her a name and try to get her out of my office as quickly as possible before I hear something I do not want to hear.

I also call my consiglieri (aka Bernie) to talk out whether I had just breached my fiduciary duty to my employer and whether I need to run this up the flagpole. We conclude that all I could report is that a co-worker asked me for a lawyer's name and I would sound like a crazy alarmist self-involved dramatic psycho-person if I brought that info to a higher level. We also conclude that I gots to break social ties with the secretary. Which I do.

Months pass. I forget all about this discussion.

Then, out of the blue, she comes into my office last week to thank me for "referring" her to <>. That they met and she is good.

Who?

Then she reminds me that <> is The Lawyer whose name I gave her months ago. OK, get out of my office now. No more talking.

So this, this I have to report. This is no longer paranoid psychotic inner voice, which I need to hide from employer (Kill! Kill! Kill!), this is "disgruntled co-worker is consulting with counsel".

Thanks. I need this. Thanks for putting me in this position. I truly appreciated having to explain to my boss why I gave disgruntled coworker the name of a kick-ass plaintiff-side employment attorney. Luckily, my boss was cool. Not so concerned about what I said 6 months ago, but rather whether this is something he needs to send up the line.

This is not to say that I won't hear about my alarming lack of judgment at my performance evaluation on Monday. And we all know how much I love performance evaluations.

I may just make a list of my myriad shortcomings to see how many are mentioned in my review. (Wears too much black which washes out face, straightens out paper clips for fun, curses aloud and yells at computer screen with frequency).

Reality check: I don't believe I am the best lawyer in existence, but I'm not the worst either. In my experience, performance evaluations tend to be opportunities for pointing out everything you have ever done wrong -- not limited to the review period. Also, lawyers like to do group performance evaluations, so the associate is outnumbered at all times. After 20 minutes of hearing why you suck, it is hard to make the case for a mo' money. ("Yes I did have to sleep with the Dean of Admissions, but compared to what associates at NYC firms are making. . .")

Argh. Back to Work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home