Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Final Minutes of My Mid-Thirties

The annual reflection-fest from the day before my birthday.

This morning, Thing 2 said "Mom, today you should have a great day. It is your last day of being in your mid-30s!" Ugh. Thanks, Hon. I bet Santa will remember your kind words thoughts.

I'm still in the office, with my rabid boss who is adamant about completing a series of documents so we can send them to a new client tomorrow morning. Because we are both working on this document, I've come to realize just how slow a typist our word processor is. Am I being too harsh? Yes, I could have been done with all of the changes -- rabid boss's in addition to mine -- a half hour ago and she's only barely started mine. But I also wrote the damn document and know what it's about, so I would naturally do it faster.

No. Not being unfair. This is the woman who answered the phone by identifying her day job an hour ago, regularly misspells my name, never looks up addresses, and does not put two spaces after periods and colons.

Anyway, reflections. That's what this post is about.

1. I like my job. I really do -- this isn't some bogus affirmation. I just wish I didn't have to deal with stupid people and/or the understaffedness of this place. And the constant interruptions by my minions and overlords makes me want to scream.

2. Katie can practically write her name. OK, so her "K" looks like an "H", but the "a" is definitely an "a". And for the rest of her name, there are distinct marks, but I'm not sure any of them qualifies as a "t", "i" or "e".

3. Maura has really blossomed this year and will be quite the heart breaker when she is older. When she wears her hair down, and if she's wearing a good color for her, like red, she is drop dead gaw-jus. Of course, I heard all that from the grown-ups when I was her age, and I found it insulting and hard to comprehend. So I don't say anything about it to her.

4. Ciara is -- gasp -- practically a teenager. Her mood can swing like a pendulum. She is so much like me it is scary. Makes me almost nostalgic for the pre-meds days. (Me and no one else, mindyou).

5. John is still the coolest man in the world. We got him a Harley-Davidson Road Pig this summer. He hearts it, but I gotta tell you that I find the fascination a bit annoying. So I stick a handprint on it whenever I pass.

OK, I'm being hauled back into reality and I'm being gently hazed for telling a law student she could go home after class rather than coming back in to work at 9:00.

Until next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home