Monday, May 08, 2006

Random Thoughts

It's been a while, so this is going to be more of a brain dump than organized commentary. And the digital camera is in my bedroom (I type from the underground lair), so there will be no pix -- only promises of pix in the future.

1. Last week, I sent 6 preemie hats to Stitches from the Heart and three scarves to DB Bernie for his one of his wannabe Eagle Scouts' projects.

2. It's been a while since anyone's tried to make Mass more relevant for the kids today. I think our parish attempted a Rock 'n Roll mass a few years back, but nothing's taken off quite like the Folk Masses of the 1970s.

During my uncle's funeral on Friday, the solution for the 21st century occurred to me: the Hip Hop Mass. Who wouldn't enjoy listening to Father rappin' the Liturgy of the Eucharist? (Of course the altar servers' costumes might have to be Beyonce'd.) Attendance would soar. Pilate was a hero to most, after all, but he never meant shit to me. . .

3. Some are born Codd, some achieve Codd, and others have Codd thrust upon them. (TMI? Well, how else would anyone be born Codd?!) After seeing my cugines on Friday, it occurred to me that a Codd Blog might be fun. Something we all could contribute our stories and pix to.

4. My uncle's funeral mass was the best I'd ever gone to. The priest knew my uncle well and had true affection for him. It was beautiful to hear a homily that was more than "don't be sad, he's enjoying everlasting life, blah blah blah". The homily was very affirming -- the priest told us what we already knew about Uncle Bart, but he also tied it rather beautifully to the Gospel.

Cousin Bart's eulogy revealed important similarities to BPC -- a surprising love for low-brow TV entertainment. Uncle Bart was an A-Team fan!!! I'd like to think that the deceased Codd brothers (and Aunt Catherine) are sitting in a parlor somewhere, drinking their 8th pot of tea, discussing the various hijinks of B.A. Barracas and Co.

5. And speaking of George Peppard. . . I'm usually a little quicker than this, but I only recently realized that Holly Golightly was a prostitute. I was reading Entertainment Weekly and it said something to that effect and I thought, "Prostitute? Holly Golightly wasn't a prostitute!! She ... dated ... men ... and ... told them that she needed $50 to tip the washroom attendant . . . oh."

6. West Side Story is a very cool movie.

7. I have to get ready for work now. Really.

1 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home