Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Qi Hurts

So many things rocking the foundation of my weltanschuung...Heath Ledger, flavored decaf coffees, co-worker diagnosed with breast cancer...Hard to put it all in perspective.

A few hours ago, a law student intern (i.e., young'un) said to me, in response to a comment about Richard Crenna, "What's 'First Blood'?" and "'Richard Crenna' was the name of a character in 'Rambo'?" Ford help me. She also thought that the Terminators' job was to help humankind.

Good thing we're starting the acculturization of our kids early. I'd gag myself with a spoon if any of my children get through college so ignorant of The Greatest Decade EverTM.*

Now, I'm revising a second-year's first attempt at drafting discovery requests. In her zeal and apparent failure to READ , which is something she failed to do yesterday and I called her out on it to The Man (as I've been instructed to do), and she got all upset and on my case because she felt that I was undermining her relationship with The Man, blah blah blah.

Bleah. Lost the sentence. Anyway.

Anyway. I just read through 10 pages of instructions and definitions that are repetitive and include the term "sic", which demonstrates that she just cut and paste and didn't pay any mind to the fact that whatever she cut and paste had grammatical or syntactical errors in it (which I, of course, got to savor).

I had to walk away from my desk when I started reading the requests themselves, which appear to be the equivalent of "If you wronged our guy big time, check this box".

I'm trying desperately to appreciate that I was new at this once, too. It is too easy, once you know something, to forget that you once did not know it. But I really really don't think I was ever this green. I've definitely had my share of poor editing jobs, but not to the point where several pages of crap can be cut because it's repetitive.

And I am SURE that my requests showed a slightly deeper appreciation for both the nuances of the case and what one can reasonably expect opposing counsel respond to.

Enough whining. I've got to figure out a way to send this back to her with my comments, in such a manner that it may actually come back to me in better form.
______________________
* Screw you baby-boomers. Especially Tom Brokaw. Generation X rocks. I'm a child of The Greatest Decade EverTM, and me and my stupid old hairdo are DAMN proud of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home